Sunday, July 24, 2005

Dogs and wine

Dogs and wine were a winning combination today!

A co-worker told me that her favorite winery was having a "Dog Days of Summer" event today. She had been raving about this winery, so I finally decided to try it out. There is nothing over $20 a bottle and most are around $5 a bottle. Some of you are asking, " Hmmm...$5 a bottle, but what does it taste like?" Well, that was my first question. And then I tasted everything that they made today. In a few words: Interesting and Awesome!
Let me give you a bit of background about this place. First of all, it's called Greenfield Winery and it's located in American Canyon. American Canyon is on the Sonoma Highway just before you get to Napa. The winery does not have vineyards of their own. They go around and purchase grapes from other grape growers. This seems to be a growing thing among the wine industry from what I can see. They have made some blends that are really interesting and I mean that in a very good way. Under their own label, they have a Merlot, a Cabneret Sauvignon, a Syrah and a Summer Cuvee. All of which are $4.17 a bottle. Yes, you are reading this correctly! These are all very palatable wines. Believe me, I was a skeptic and was very pleasantly surprised! The best one that they have put together is a red table wine they call Rabid Red ($15) after man's best friend! Of course it was on sale today ($12.50)! It's a very bold and juicy wine. They also have an exquisite 2000 Syrah under their Stratford label ($7.92) that is smooth and fruity. Sighh...By the time I mixed and matched, I had purchased a case. However, it was way under $100, which is the average I pay for what I like. Their Greenfield Winery labeled wines are from $35 to $54 a case. I'm in love! Cheap great wine! There's nothing like it! The people running the tasting were very knowledgeable, interesting and friendly also.

Now...about the dogs! There were all shapes, sizes and personalities today. American Eskimo, Golden Retriever, Black lab, Bassett hound, several mixes,etc, etc...
My favorite was Murray, an American Eskimo. She kept coming up and barking at to me until I bent down to pet her. Then, she was very happy! Silly dog!

I highly recommend this little known winery. It is a gem!

Lots of love and peace!
MC

2 Comments:

Blogger Gene George said...

dogs!

12:32 PM  
Blogger CMC said...

Bark!

Bark! Bark!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home